How many times have you shown up to work and you see your good ole co-workers still wiping the sleep from their eyes?
How many times have you shown up to work yawning and stretching your arms as if you were still in bed?!
I know how that is and it’s kind of funny thinking about how that used to be me every single day. I used to use my first meeting of the day as my wake-up hour—no joke.
It’s all different now.
My routine gives me the energy and focus before I need it. It helps me show up as my best self each day.
I wake up a good hour and a half before I leave my house to go to work. Here’s how I spend it.
- Drink a glass of green drink powder and a teaspoon of turmeric mixed in a tall glass of cold water; the body is mostly water and at this time of the day, it.. is.. thirsty! So why not fill it up with a couple cups of really good stuff? If you want something that tastes great while providing you up to 12 servings of fruits and vegetables in just one serving, Athletic Greens is the way to go.
- Make 4 cups of tea – 2 to drink before I leave and the other two to put into my awesome travel mug that keeps it warm the entire morning.
- Eat (or slurp depending on the temperature) 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil and 1 teaspoon of cod liver oil. It feeds the body with good fat right at the start and satiates the cravings for a sugary cereal.
- Meditate for 20 minutes. I get distracted so easily that it pays off to do mental push-ups every morning. When I get tempted to open up a new browser to look up a random curiosity, check my inbox, or some other non-value added thing, I’m better able to pause and become aware of the self-sabotage.
- Spend 5 minutes thinking of the things I’m most grateful for… why? because I feel like I already have the most important things in life.
- Review my current life vision and the goals I’m working on to move closer to it. By keeping it the forefront of my awareness, I’m able to use it as a compass to guide the decisions I make each day.
- Move my body with a quick workout. Now that it’s warmer outside, I’ve been running two to three miles every morning.
- Eat a clean breakfast – usually a couple of eggs, bacon, and bell peppers.
- Listen to an audiobook or my favorite podcasts on my 30 minute commute to work.
Once I get to work I…
- Review my calendar and the top priorities I decided on the night before.
- One thing I’m currently getting better at is email. It’s so tempting to get in there and clean up the inbox. Now, I just glance through it to see if there are any that are from people I’ve been waiting on.
I’ve been following the same routine for such a long time that it flows without much thought. But if you’re new to morning rituals, I would suggest writing down your routine the night before and checking off the items one by one in the morning. It’ll keep you honest.
So there you have it!
Thanks for reading.
I’d love to hear about your morning routine. If you have one, how’s it helping you win at work and succeed in the other areas of life that matter most?
If you don’t have a morning routine and want some tips on what it takes to create one, I’d say start small. Habits are extremely difficult to create and my morning routine is what I’d call a habit stack. In a future post, I’ll talk more about how you too can build the habits that steer your day. Our lives are made up of habits more than we think—so why not make sure you like the habits you’re building?
Ok, now it’s your turn.
What is the ONE thing, that if you did it every morning, would make the biggest impact on how well the rest of your day went?
Ciao for now,
Like this essay? Get an update via email when I publish something new. Oh and the best compliment you can give me is sharing this with a few of your friends using the social share buttons below!